Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Warming the home

Last week my String Swing Home and Studio Violin Hanger arrived in the mail. It sat on my counter for two days until I worked up the courage to face the dreaded toolbox. Grim memories flashed through my mind of failed attempts to install curtain rods, which had resulted in the loss of chunks of my bedroom wall. I checked the screws and rifled through my toolbox for a phillips head (a term I only learned as a Waldorf teacher, where the teachers are also janitors and handywomen). I chose the spot where an old boyfriend used to keep his three foot wide television and tried to place the wood block perfectly straight. Two minutes later, fiddle and bow had a new home and no chunks of wall had been sacrificed for the cause.

Some say that it is not best for the health of an instrument to be left out, due to the varying humidity of the home. I'll worry about that if I buy a nicer instrument one day. After all, my fiddle teacher referred to my instrument as a battlefield fiddle. If it can survive a battle, then why not my living room wall?




No comments:

Post a Comment