Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the earth

"Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don't open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument. Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the earth."
-Rumi

I survived the first week of teaching seventh grade and watched the gibbous moon rise over West Beach with good company, many musical instruments, and a hookah.

This week's primary tasks include an alcohol explosion, a spontaneous fire with sulphuric acid, and building a brick lime kiln. These are among the many joys of teaching Chemistry. If I am still standing by Tuesday....It's north to Georgetown to join about 25 musicians at a weekly Irish session, which has become one of my favorites.

Lately I wake up with a tune in my head and can almost feel my arm gliding a bow across fiddle strings. Perhaps this week before shower, breakfast, brushing teeth, I should just take down a musical instrument and play the tune that has graced my moment of awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment